No announcement yet.

Impact of DF or DOD Policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know little of the site but Looking at IPhone maps, car park and square that could be relocated to the ISPAT site (giving that there is little that you can do with it). An option?

Does the State own the NMCI site?

Comment

How does the Accomodiation on Eithne over the P50s? 2/4 to a cabin ?

Comment

There is a derelict building / site next to the church , been like that since my time , how come it has never been developed into something useful .
        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

There is the building that just burnt down plenty of space to build that up again , and so on.
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
            There is a derelict building / site next to the church , been like that since my time , how come it has never been developed into something useful .
            Let me guess , it's a protected ruin .
            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

That might be the water tank, The top half was a marine barracks I think, before the roof burnt down. Yeah, it's protected. Also I'd stay well away from anything within the old ISPAT site until it's been properly cleaned up, and not by DoD.

Eithne's accom is only of a slightly lower standard than that on the P50s. Originally designed to accomodate its crew, aircrew and a command element. Some of the original Air Corps accom has been repurposed.
              The NMCI site is a public private partnership, and for the most part is now full. The land was once DoD property.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                That might be the water tank, The top half was a marine barracks I think, before the roof burnt down. Yeah, it's protected. Also I'd stay well away from anything within the old ISPAT site until it's been properly cleaned up, and not by DoD.

Eithne's accom is only of a slightly lower standard than that on the P50s. Originally designed to accomodate its crew, aircrew and a command element. Some of the original Air Corps accom has been repurposed.
                The NMCI site is a public private partnership, and for the most part is now full. The land was once DoD property.
                I wouldn’t put a dog kennel on the ISPAT site... 10-15 years time it will come back in court

Of course I’d say that’s exactly what DoD plan to do
                Last edited by DeV; 4 June 2019, 08:12.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                  It's done in other Navies. HMS Bristol was an accomodation ship for many years. It's an immediate, if temporary solution in the absence of any identified site, or actual buildings suitable to be used immediately for accomodation, don't you think? The ship will be alongside until her future is decided in any event. Can NS vessels plug into 220 V shore supply?
                  Very easy for the DoD to say today "we have plans to spend €9m on housing in the naval base" when unless I'm mistaken there is no room to build new accomodation on the island (that which is not still contaminated, at least), then let the plan languish for years while this moment of newsworthyness passes.
                  By the time it eventually happens,(if it does) those who needed the accomodation today are long gone from the service.
                  There is scarce supply of rental accom in Ringaskiddy that NMCI has not already cornered. Price of property in Carrigaline has gone nuts. Back Passage is Shinner central, no NS man or woman in their right mind should feel safe living there.
                  So where is the O/Sea, O/Tel or O/Mech expected to live for those months of the year when they are not at sea?
                  A building has been earmarked for a number of years for this project. What was missing was the the money!.

This project should begin this year once the DOD release the money to the DF.

BTW, no such thing as an O/Tel for the last 20 years. O/Commop is the correct term. (Tel's & Sig's combined)

Comment

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                    A building has been earmarked for a number of years for this project. What was missing was the the money!.
                    Was this the same money DoD kept handing back each year
                    An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                      Was this the same money DoD kept handing back each year
                      Let’s look at that
                      Most recent I can find is YE 31 Dec 2017
                      https://www.defence.ie/system/files/...36-defence.pdf (see page 15 & 16)

€21.37m returned to the exchequer (down approx €5.2m from previous year)

Comment

Be careful of “lies, dame lies and statics “.

If you look at page 6 you will see that the Appropriation in Aids (income from banks, UN etc) was €10m over estimate which means that on the expenditure there was only €11m out of a budget of €691 returned to the exchequer. This represents only 1.6% of what was available to spend.

In looking at pages 15/16 it is clear that many of the areas of expenditure that are under the total control of the military (A10, A12) had the biggest shortfall. So many the DF need to share some of the blame.

Comment

Firstly the DOD is in total control of expenditure. It also has the authority to allocate underspends in one sub-head to other sub-heads as required. Whether or not the surplus returned to the Exchequer is made up of savings on expenditure or an increase in income it is still represents an overall underspend of the budget. I have gone back to 2013 and between 2013 and 2017 and in those 5 years 95million has been returned to the Exchequer. This is after allocating some of the underspend to finance the ships. In 2016 and 2015 PDF pay was underestimated by 30 and 25 million respectively. I note in 2017 they stopped commenting on that variance.

I also note that the receipts from UN has been consistently underestimated (2017: 10m, 2016: 8m, 2015: 6m, 2014: 3m) which says a lot about their budgetary process.

What the many DF commentators are saying is what could have been done with those savings instead of it being returned to the Exchequer to feed the black hole of the HSE.

Comment

regardless of the creative accounting process there shouldn't be a penny being returned to the exchequer any year.

it's a well known truth (myth, whatever you want call it.....)in any public service area if you do a job without spending the entire budget, paymasters automatically believe you can do it with less next time and budget accordingly

the only way you get more is if you run out of money during the year....a la the HSE
                            An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

the only way you get more is if you run out of money during the year....a la the HSE
                              On that exact topic who will bet that the new DG will ask for a supplementary budget ? He's promised not to but time will tell.
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                                On that exact topic who will bet that the new DG will ask for a supplementary budget ? He's promised not to but time will tell.
                                He'll have no choice, the alternative would be cutting services at the end of the budget cycle and politically more unacceptable than a supplementary budget particularly with an election hovering in the background.

Comment

Working...
                                X