Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just noticed that VARD (people behind the P50 & P60 design) have a new multi-role vessel.

https://vardmarine.com/gallery/vard-7-313/
    https://vardmarine.com/wp-content/up...VARD-7-313.pdf

Could this be a sign of things to come?
    Helicopter type, camo and roundel might be a clue for some!
    Last edited by EUFighter; 10 May 2019, 23:31.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
      Just noticed that VARD (people behind the P50 & P60 design) have a new multi-role vessel.

Interesting!!. Ticks most boxes for the EPV requirement bar the 76mm which is the stnadard main armament now.

Comment

Just noticed that VARD (people behind the P50 & P60 design) have a new multi-role vessel.

Great find! I see Breadth is 24m.

I'd say Weapons fit is up to customer really.

4 helis, with hanger-age for two, you could nearly take the whole Air corps and dump them in Lebannon ............or syria.
        Last edited by Herald; 11 May 2019, 01:25.

Comment

• Hangar for 4 , flight deck for 2 , all our AW 139 Wolfhounds! Ah if only we had bought ones with auto folding blades. NB, remember Eithne's hangar was wide enough for Dauphins to not need to fold their rotors.
          Sarsfield

Comment

• It's certainly interesting but the breadth would be an issue unless she's going to be supported elsewhere, otherwise it would seem to tick all the boxes.

Comment

• Funny if you look at the pdf file and expand the Heli on the landing pad it really looks like a tricolour on the door (Celtic boss).

Comment

• Originally posted by ias View Post
                Funny if you look at the pdf file and expand the Heli on the landing pad it really looks like a tricolour on the door (Celtic boss).
                Vard trying to get in early? Though they might be overdoing with what looks like an MBT on the stern ramp.
                Last edited by Sparky42; 11 May 2019, 03:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                  Vard trying to get in early? Though they might be overdoing with what looks like an MBT on the stern ramp.
                  I would say it is a Stridsvagn 122 that has come for a visit from Sweden!

Comment

• Looking at the VARD specification they match pretty much those of HMS Canterbury with the biggest exception being an LCVP rather than a LCM. But this is just a info brochure and the final product usually has some changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarsfield View Post
                      Hangar for 4 , flight deck for 2 , all our AW 139 Wolfhounds! Ah if only we had bought ones with auto folding blades. NB, remember Eithne's hangar was wide enough for Dauphins to not need to fold their rotors.
                      You must be talking about the little model sized Dauphin .
                      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by ias View Post
                        Funny if you look at the pdf file and expand the Heli on the landing pad it really looks like a tricolour on the door (Celtic boss).
                        Those are definitely AC roundels and the helis look like AW139s

Comment

Brilliant find

If you look at the specs compared to the EPV (2007)
                          Beam is 4m wider
                          Draft is 0.4m deeper
                          Max speed is 2kts slower

Not saying that the EPV tender will be used but it’s a guide

Other than that, and no 76mm it would appear to be exactly what the NS wants

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Brilliant find

Beam is 4m wider
                            Draft is 0.4m deeper
                            Max speed is 2kts slower

It seems to be designed around our blogged descriptions of EPV operational tasks. I don't normally look at "Gift" horses in the mouth but unfortunately this vessel could never be drydocked in our backyard. The extra beam is probably related to deploying landing craft by ship side davit arrangements. If the Navy Drydock was operational it would be ideal. It would also need an adequate defence scheme and in this case additionally, as do all our ships , a beefed up cyber security system. There were more than 50 marine based hacks in the Norwegian sector in the past year .

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              Brilliant find

Beam is 4m wider
                              Draft is 0.4m deeper
                              Max speed is 2kts slower

The EPV never went to tender, as far as I can remember, It went as far as RFP stage, with certain specifications, but never proceeded further.
                              Luckily, since then, numerous states are seeking vessels with similar capability.

A lot to like about the VARD design. 70 tonne ramps are industry standard for most ferries. 20T (at 20m) deck crane is excellent, and is well located. If the spec is correct, you could lift the majority of TEUs from quayside to deck. Do do the same with a Mobile crane ashore would require a 130 Tonne model, minimum. Not always easily available, and there are none in the DF inventory.
                              The image also seems to suggest container stowage on top of the hangar. Better still.

2 bow thrusters, and the mention of schottel drives seem to suggest the vessel would be DP2. 470 Lane metres is excellent. Thats 58 Mowag Piranhas, comfortably, before you put anything on the helideck. Relatively manageable crew size. Less than Eithne's compliment when she was new. Plenty of space for extra bods during the inevitable overseas resupply trips, that the NS used to enjoy.
                              The Design of landing craft is interesting. Much more workboat like than most landing craft in use. Very large wheelhouse for the type. I like the use of 11m enclosed Rhibs also. Looks more like the daughter craft used in the offshore industry. Greatly expands your over the horizon capability.
                              I'm not too bothered with the indication of a 25mm main gun. It seems to be trending that way, internationally. Don't forget the RN are using unarmed tankers and research ships to combat drug smugglers in the carribean and elsewhere. If some in the NS had their way, the P60s would all have been fitted with Bofors L70s.
                              I also wouldn't be too concerned with the beam. True it may not fit within the basin, but the oil wharf would be fine for most times ashore. The NS has been availing of nearby civilian berthage a lot lately, and most of the quayside in the Former dockyard is no longer in regular use. I also understand there are other plans...
                              By the time this hits the water, many things may have changed.

The AW139 with tricolour roundel on deck though....
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post

It seems to be designed around our blogged descriptions of EPV operational tasks. I don't normally look at "Gift" horses in the mouth but unfortunately this vessel could never be drydocked in our backyard. The extra beam is probably related to deploying landing craft by ship side davit arrangements. If the Navy Drydock was operational it would be ideal. It would also need an adequate defence scheme and in this case additionally, as do all our ships , a beefed up cyber security system. There were more than 50 marine based hacks in the Norwegian sector in the past year .
                                Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                                The EPV never went to tender, as far as I can remember, It went as far as RFP stage, with certain specifications, but never proceeded further.
                                Luckily, since then, numerous states are seeking vessels with similar capability.

A lot to like about the VARD design. 70 tonne ramps are industry standard for most ferries. 20T (at 20m) deck crane is excellent, and is well located. If the spec is correct, you could lift the majority of TEUs from quayside to deck. Do do the same with a Mobile crane ashore would require a 130 Tonne model, minimum. Not always easily available, and there are none in the DF inventory.
                                The image also seems to suggest container stowage on top of the hangar. Better still.

2 bow thrusters, and the mention of schottel drives seem to suggest the vessel would be DP2. 470 Lane metres is excellent. Thats 58 Mowag Piranhas, comfortably, before you put anything on the helideck. Relatively manageable crew size. Less than Eithne's compliment when she was new. Plenty of space for extra bods during the inevitable overseas resupply trips, that the NS used to enjoy.
                                The Design of landing craft is interesting. Much more workboat like than most landing craft in use. Very large wheelhouse for the type. I like the use of 11m enclosed Rhibs also. Looks more like the daughter craft used in the offshore industry. Greatly expands your over the horizon capability.
                                I'm not too bothered with the indication of a 25mm main gun. It seems to be trending that way, internationally. Don't forget the RN are using unarmed tankers and research ships to combat drug smugglers in the carribean and elsewhere. If some in the NS had their way, the P60s would all have been fitted with Bofors L70s.
                                I also wouldn't be too concerned with the beam. True it may not fit within the basin, but the oil wharf would be fine for most times ashore. The NS has been availing of nearby civilian berthage a lot lately, and most of the quayside in the Former dockyard is no longer in regular use. I also understand there are other plans...
                                By the time this hits the water, many things may have changed.

The AW139 with tricolour roundel on deck though....
                                I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this was designed specifically for the NS, possibly at NS request

Your right it was a RFP but they (NS and DoD) obviously picked those specs for a reason.
                                Last edited by DeV; 11 May 2019, 10:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X