No announcement yet.

Is the ranger course really that hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, the bush was there, alright.it might have been cut down when the UN post thingie was built, which was after my time there.
    Now, malek, don't go all serious on me! I have the height of respect for the Rangers but I also have the fine-tuned cynicism of a dyed-in-the-wool Donner.
    regards
    GttC

Comment

Originally posted by Malek
      What.......?

He may have being sent over to distract you. (they can be very snecky at times)

Comment

Rangers

Aldi doing a special next week

comes all all the gear 19.99
        hurry up and wait, are you back yet

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          Well by that statement you have told me who has. And what did you acheve by doing it?

My point is, the majority who post about the ARW here will not have served in it or completed selection so for that reason, any discussion on the syllabus, except by the person you identified as having completed it, will be speculation and conjecture.
          Goldie is 100% right. Unless someone has done the course, it will be almost impossible to say for sure how hard it is, and even then it is harder for some than others. So there is a wide variation in peoples perception of how hard it is, depending on who they talk to.
          ( I heard its all ice creams and day trips)
          Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
          Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

Originally posted by herr flick View Post
            Goldie is 100% right. Unless someone has done the course, it will be almost impossible to say for sure how hard it is, and even then it is harder for some than others. So there is a wide variation in peoples perception of how hard it is, depending on who they talk to.
            ( I heard its all ice creams and day trips)

Heres an article I came across.

The Irish Times Magazine[/FONT]

Saturday 01 10 2005

Each year, Ireland’s elite-and highly secretive-Army Ranger Wing puts hopeful recruits to the test. Photographer Aidan Crawley follows the month-long selection process, a gruelling test that most will fail.

“On my command,” shouts the instructor, “step off”. The young man in camouflage fatigues obeys without hesitation, plummeting 20m from the bridge into the icy water beneath. As he steps off the parapet he bellows “ranger”, the kind of soldier he wants to become .The bridge trial is the first of three confidence tests he will have to complete if he is to have a chance of joining the Army Ranger Wing, an elite unit of the Defence Forces.

Based in the Curragh, in Co. Kildare, the ranger wing has played a key role in the DF over the past 25 years, supporting national security at home and abroad. It prepares for numereous military eventualities, including the storming of hijacked aircraft and foreign deployments with the UN. The rangers are also trained to deal with urban-conflict situations, such as hostage-taking, and are trained in parachuting, combat diving, small boat handling and mountaineering. The unit has been mobilised during jail riots and for VIP protection.

The ranger wing was formed after a spate of IRA kidnappings
            in the 1970s, and that of
            The Dutch industrialist Dr Tiede Herrema, which led to a stand-off between the

Kidnappers and security forces. After that, the government decided it needed a full-time

Special forces unit, to help cope with such events.

Last year, it was proposed to increase the unit’s numbers from around 100 to 120, in

response to a heightened threat to global security and to the possibility of an attack on

embassies in Dublin, including those of the US, Britain and Israel.

Any member of the DF can apply for the arw annual month long test of physical and

psychological endurance. Between 60 and 70 usually try out; perhaps only one in 10 will

make it through. The rest fall by the wayside from injury or because they fail a test.

Others cannot overcome their claustrophobia or fear of heights. Whatever the reason,

they have to accept that their ambition exceeds their ability.

Dealing with fear is a foundation for any of the tasks the wing are given. In 2003, for

example, rangers were deployed in dangereous parts of Liberia, where they had to rely on

their own resources to survive. Building the confidence they need for such missions

begins on the selection course.

The instructors are current rangers; most have served overseas, and some have trained

with other special forces units. As one of them puts it: “ We have first hand experience of

the selection course, so we know that, while it is tough, it is achievable. Everything we

teach the during the course will stand to them in service.” In fact, even candidates who do

not finish the course learn enough to benefit them when they return to their units. Many

[FONT=Times New Roman]of those who are unsuccessful first time around apply a second time.

[FONT=Times New Roman]The course’s fitness tests include running and marching on both roads and mountains. These are frequently followed by tests of mental agility; in a real battle, rangers may, After a long march, have to plan how to attack a target.[One of the wings’ core values is teamwork. In many of their tasks, candidates must work together while suffering from mental and physical exhaustion, often running or crawling with 15kg of kit. In one exercise they have to run up a hill with a stretcher loaded with sandbags, to represent a wounded colleague. Their lungs scream for oxygen.The pace accelerates in the final week, when the remaining candidates demonstrate what they have learned, from long range patrolling to ambush and small unit tactics. It culminates in a late night attack on “enemy hq”, fighting soldiers drawn from a reserve battalion. (The reservists are only too glad to take on the prospective rangers, not least because they will be able to say that they worked with the Army’s elite).[Whoeever survives until morning faces one last challenge before they can become Rangers.

Before dawn they are tracked to the Glen of Imaal, in Co.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Wicklow. At 5am they begin a blistering 40km group march to the ranger barracks.

Less than six hours later, the march ends where it all began, five weeks earlier.

As they march proudly through the gates they are applauded by men in green berets before being awarded theirs.

............. Obviously v challenging,aspects remind me a bit of UK pre parachute selection/pcoy, with its aeriel confidence test, group march, stretcher race etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
              As they march proudly through the gates they are applauded by men in green berets before being awarded theirs....
              This statement is incorrect. Rangers are not awarded their green berets until they complete their
              Continuation (sorry, not sure what the Rangers call it) training. Candidates only receive a
              "Fiannóglach" flash on completion of Selection
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fiannoglach
                Read the sentence.
                Nobody said they got green berets.
                Only that they were applauded by men wearing them.
                I did.... this is what it said........

As they march proudly through the gates they are applauded by men
                in green berets before being awarded theirs.
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                  This statement is incorrect. Rangers are not awarded their green berets until they complete their
                  Continuation (sorry, not sure what the Rangers call it) training. Candidates only receive a
                  Basic Skills Course

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    Basic Skills Course
                    Thanks Dev, couldn't bloody think of what it was called

Comment

I did.... this is what it said........
                      My bad, I actually read the sentence myself and removed the post. Apologies.

Comment

Lads if you are going to give reference to the flash please use the correct spelling . Fianóglach
                        Glaine ár gcroí
                        Neart ár ngéag
                        Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

Comment

is it true that selection for the support wing of the ARW is upon qualifications and experience in certain areas i.e transport, medical etc and not that of the quebec one selection process?

Comment

The Flash is spelt wrong. In 1987 it was Spelt fiannóglach.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

is spelling a part ofthe selection course?
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                                You should inform DFHQ of that.

http://www.mileata.ie/army/ranger/index.htm
                                It’s funny that of all the references to the Fianóglach on the Irish Defence Forces web site, you picked the page with a type error. Maybe you should get out a little more.
                                Glaine ár gcroí
                                Neart ár ngéag
                                Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

Comment

Working...
                                X