Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hence the TRFs

Comment

The small size of the DF would make it expensive.

Most of the corps units now only have 3 units (1 in each Bde and 1 in the DFTC). This means some of the corps could have less than 200 people, so you decide to buy a different colour, that then means 3 different clothing stores have hold say 10 berets of 10 different sizes.

They should have put Velcro on the new shirts and smocks to allow for the overseas Ireland flash, overseas unit flashes, UN flash etc

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
        I dunno to give the Cav something to do now the AML's are gone

Bks tailors have it.Along with velcro,thread,marking chalk,buttons......See where I am going with this??
        What's a bks tailor? What do they do when not sewing felt patches onto glengarries?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          They should have put Velcro on the new shirts and smocks to allow for the overseas Ireland flash, overseas unit flashes, UN flash etc
          Agree.

I don't think there is any need to change the berets. Velcro and some subdued patches would be relatively inexpensive. I'd be very proud to wear my Bn's insignia on my arm.

Comment

Originally posted by colonel decker View Post
            For some reason I just can't pin down I keep thinking that the Transport Corps should wear a brown beret.
            I know you are just waiting for someone to ask you why.

But corps berrets for tpt would be realy silly.

Firstly, half the time they don't wear their berrets.

Secondly alot of the time they are driving for other units.
            Either they are attached to that unit or they do a drop and run.
            Either way you wont see them for long.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              What's a bks tailor? What do they do when not sewing felt patches onto glengarries?
              If you have to ask that.What do you think a Bks TAILORdoes?

I'd be very proud to wear my Bn's insignia on my arm.
              You do.Everytime you put on your SD's.We have unit flashes on the sleeves of our SD's.The BA doesn't.The BA make their troops buy coloured stable belts and TRF's and make them wear TRF's on their CAMOUFLAGED COMBAT UNIFORM(kinda defeats the purpose).We choose not to put bright coloured badges on ours with the exception of the tricolour which I grant you should only be worn on the outer garment and be velcro backed for interchangeability and covertness when required.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                Agree.

I don't think there is any need to change the berets. Velcro and some subdued patches would be relatively inexpensive. I'd be very proud to wear my Bn's insignia on my arm.
                There is no need for patches outside of barracks/camp apart from UN, Ireland, etc

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  There is no need for patches outside of barracks/camp apart from UN, Ireland, etc
                  There's no NEED to wear a beret either. A baseball cap would be more practical.

Comment

See post 32

Comment

Bks tailors have it.Along with velcro,thread,marking chalk,buttons......See where I am going with this??
                      Wasone in Clonmel, we used to send out to get alterations done privately regardless..but then again I used to do my own!

WE even had a cobbler in Haulbowline, any left in the army? Was a barber in Clonmel as well, although no one ever let him cut their hair!

Anyway back to Glengarrys, as its only one unit in the DF wears them..why bother.....I'm actually the director of Cav should rule on this......which reminds me. I did see OC 1 Cav at some function recently with his lanyard on the wrong sleeve...and no one pulled him before he went outside..!!

A baseball cap would be more practical
                      Emmm no ...we had that disater back in the early eighties..along with Ho Chi Minh Jackets.......never again

Wanna bet!! Try Kilworth in the middle of a PSO with 350 RDF guys swanning around the place and your are looking for a guy from x BN......and lets face it when you get around to RDF berets.. they all look the same to me!!!! Its a disaster....

We choose not to put bright coloured badges on ours with the exception of the tricolour which I grant you should only be worn on the outer garment and be velcro backed for interchangeability and covertness when required
                      You might bring up that point with all the higher ups who recently acquired all that nice reds stuff on the collars of their DPMS Staff Officers...I'm sure you'll make your point elequently!
                      Last edited by hptmurphy; 23 January 2014, 15:48. Reason: Subject matter incorrecy
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Those without the red patch on their glengarries are ignoring a DFR.

Are PSOs not long gone?

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                          If you have to ask that.What do you think a Bks TAILORdoes?

You do.Everytime you put on your SD's.We have unit flashes on the sleeves of our SD's.The BA doesn't.The BA make their troops buy coloured stable belts and TRF's and make them wear TRF's on their CAMOUFLAGED COMBAT UNIFORM(kinda defeats the purpose).We choose not to put bright coloured badges on ours with the exception of the tricolour which I grant you should only be worn on the outer garment and be velcro backed for interchangeability and covertness when required.
                          Answer the question. Because most real tailors make items of clothing, or do alterations, neither of which is a full time necessity in a modern defence forces.

So, answer the question.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            I did see OC 1 Cav at some function recently with his lanyard on the wrong sleeve...and no one pulled him before he went outside..!!
                            Don't the Cav Corps wear their langers on a different side to everyone else?

Comment

Answer the question. Because most real tailors make items of clothing, or do alterations, neither of which is a full time necessity in a modern defence forces.

So, answer the question.
                              The barrack tailors have a busy enough job. They are responsible for the alterations of uniforms for all members of the bn, mainly the other ranks, but officers sometimes get things done as well. They are flat out when it comes to GOH's, GOC's etc and there are now three companies of RDF to tailor for as well. Tailors also carry out regular duties that any other soldier would and there's plenty of times that they aren't at the workbench because they're off doing various other things. In addittion people going on courses may get bits and pieces of kit altered accordingly.

Comment

Wasn't one in Clonmel, used to have to send out to get alterations done privately
                                Oh really??Would you like to put money on it??(I would advise against that as you would loose.He retired last year and before that he was the Bn tailor serving Clonmel AND Limerick).

WE even had a cobbler in Haulbowline, any left in the army? Was a barber in Clonmel as well, although no one ever let him cut their hair!
                                No they don't run cobbler courses any more as the boots all have direct molded soles.Barbers courses yes.Sent out to Civi street to be trained up.New barbers shops in Collins and Sarsfield bks and they are good barbers.
                                Anyway back to Glengarrys, as its only one unit in the DF wears them..why bother.....
                                Because it is a Dress instruction signed by D Admin.You know one of those things we in the Military call an order.

You might bring up that point with all the higher ups who recently acquired all that nice reds stuff on the collars of their DPMS Staff Officers...I'm sure you'll make your point elequently!
                                I will give you that one .I forgot about the general staff.My bad. Having said that A9 does dictate that general staff in the field only wear subdued rank markings.Seeing as they rarely go in the field I guess we wont see that anytime soon
                                Those without the red patch on their glengarries are ignoring a DFR.
                                Actually an Admin instruction but it has the DFR behind it so yeah.

So, answer the question.
                                Northie answered the question before I got there.Tailors course ran by the ordnance school with teaching and work experience through Griffith college I believe.New syllabus only out since 2013.So I guess somebody must think we need tailors in an organisation that has many different shapes and sizes in it and wants them all to look uniform.I believe the recruits about to pass out in my Bks would disagree with you about the need for alterations to their off the shelf SD's and greatcoats.As would every overseas unit about to deploy.
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X