navy diver info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• navy diver info?

Any body able give some info on becoming a navy diver? The trainng/roles/conditions etc? And how goabout joining? Thanx!

It is reputed to be one of the hardest courses in the DF (10 weeks long), they train to operate at depths of up to 50 metres in zero visibility:

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      It is reputed to be one of the hardest courses in the DF (10 weeks long), they train to operate at depths of up to 50 metres in zero visibility:

http://www.military.ie/naval/special...vers/index.htm
      You had to be half mad to even consider doing this course! I remember seeing these guys training, jumping off bridge wings in the basin and the bridge to Ringaskiddy. Didn't somebody die on a mud runs a few years ago? I’m sure things have improved in terms of expertise over the years but I’m curious as to how they compare internationally to other diving units. I know the likes of the RN would have a longer history, and bigger budget, as would the Americans but how do we fare?

I read somewhere, for example, that the ARW did really well a couple of years ago in a Special Forces competition in Germany, probably shocked a lot of begrudgers along the way! How do the NS divers stand?

Comment

I've seen one or two PDF Army lads wearing the badge for this on their No.1's
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

The NSDS also run the diving courses for the wing.

Comment

I remember one night while fishing in Cobh, seeing them "walking" from white point to the Basin. All you could see was the clyalume sticks occasionally on the top of the water.

I didn't catch any of them..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              I remember one night while fishing in Cobh, seeing them "walking" from white point to the Basin. All you could see was the clyalume sticks occasionally on the top of the water.

I didn't catch any of them..

That’s one hell of an image! In relation to above “How good are the NS divers?” I’m not being smart here, just curious, but when you see them do stuff like walk from White Point to the Basin, who teaches them to do that? I know we have our own pool of expertise and experience by now but how do the divers update skills and techniques? Is it the RN, the Americans?

Comment

First things first,

Got to join the Naval Service first, apply for the course when it becomes avaiable,meet with the fitness and medical criteria.. and then do the course.

Saw the training in progress and reckon thers a lot of pain involved..apart from that I'll leave it up to the experts.

They are damn good and in their role would be rated very highly
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                  That’s one hell of an image! In relation to above “How good are the NS divers?” I’m not being smart here, just curious, but when you see them do stuff like walk from White Point to the Basin, who teaches them to do that? I know we have our own pool of expertise and experience by now but how do the divers update skills and techniques? Is it the RN, the Americans?
                  I know that Clearance Divers initially learnt much of their art from the RN.

Comment

military.ie says typically 30 start the course & 4 complete it successfully!!

Up untill the around 1982 they were trained by RN (Clearance divers are still trained in the UK).

Training courses are held off the south & west around Christmas as the weather is harsher

Comment

Back when I was in the sea scouts an NS diver came to talk to us one night.
                      His tales of fingertip searches for bodies and the training and so on impressed the heck out of me. They also put me right off ever wanting to have anything to do with the job.

A couple of months ago I saw divers (not sure if they were NS or other) searching Cork Harbour for a missing person. They started up by the oiling wharf (I think that's what it's called) at the the naval base, and the current had them and the support boat down beyond the entrance to the basin in a few minutes. I can't understand how they can operate in those conditions. And that was a calm day in the harbour!
                      Attached Files
                      Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

military.ie says typically 30 start the course & 4 complete it successfully!!
                        On any given intake you would be lucky to find thirty that could even pass the medical..never mind the course.

Back to a couple of points Doc made.

the jumping off the bridge in Ringaskiddy had to be stopped as at low tide there were some obstacles in the water which made it dangerous.

The guy who died on the mud run had in fact a heart condition that went undetected at the medical. hyper ventilation in a dry suit was thought to have triggered a condition that other wise may never have been life threatning.

I suppose the highest credit to the divers comes in two categories...two of the DSM holders from the Air India Disaster were divers..and the NSDS has never lost a man on operations..which in itself speaks volumes on the quality of the training.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          The NSDS also run the diving courses for the wing.
                          yes the wing do all their intensive courses with the navy and some gardai have done a few as well ... damo was a ships diver.... any officer who went to england on the demolition course allways topped it and showed the quality of the course ran in haulboline a dedicated bunch of lads and out in all weathers ..

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

I suppose the highest credit to the divers comes in two categories...two of the DSM holders from the Air India Disaster were divers..and the NSDS has never lost a man on operations..which in itself speaks volumes on the quality of the training.
                            I'm not sure how many DSMs the NS has been awarded over the years, but at least 3 of them are divers.

Comment

whats the white and blue penant in the photos mean?
                              An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Working...
                              X