Assessments 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assessments 2012

Not long to go now, are there many IMO heads going this year? Will be there myself. Think it was a good move to get the full week for it, at least we will have time to get our drills sorted and adapt to our new surroundings etc. We had a week prelim training already so hoping to build on it when we get down as we already know eachother and the team spirit has already been established.

Yes... I am going ..... playing a Sith Lord this time. Bring mozzie rep.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

forget it, my Bn is assigned other duties and hasnt been asked to take part. probably because we dont need a weeks handholding to get the drills right as we showed you all up last year

But on a more serious note, hope this new interesting format works out for all and I look forward to your debriefs!
      Last edited by morpheus; 2 August 2012, 15:20.
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Can't make it this year. Glad to see the format has changed though. I'm looking forward to hearing about how it was conducted.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
          probably because we dont need a weeks handholding to get the drills right as we showed you all up last year
          Handholding? Ah come on, you mean to tell me that ye were perfect!? Cockiness leads to complacency!

Not all units train together or even have access to weapons on a regular basis, tis the nature of the beast. I'm damn glad it's a week, I can't comment on last year but 2 years ago it was not the best to land on a friday night in the glen not knowing who everyone is or what their capabilities are, those who know me know the lengths it took me to get there, and the journey I had after it was all over!

Looking forward to what they concoct for us this year. Why aren't the East being assessed, are they that good or is it a manday/accomodation issue? Answers on a postcard please.

Last year taking part in the old brigade structure as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Infy View Post
            Looking forward to what they concoct for us this year. Why aren't the East being assessed, are they that good or is it a manday/accomodation issue? Answers on a postcard please.

Last year taking part in the old brigade structure as well.
            My moneys on the East being assessed in October by Westies and Southies then.

Comment

Originally posted by Vamp369 View Post
              My moneys on the East being assessed in October by Westies and Southies then.
              You mean the North

Comment

I believe its just my own Bn thats not being assessed, were on camp that week.

I cant vouch for other elements of the east. anyway next year it'll be like the american civil war.... North vs South :D

na i think the week long idea is a good one and i really hope it works and that all units who take part take the drills back with them and it continues!!!

onwards and upwards.

last year wasnt too bad and we all made mistakes, just thankfully ours werent horrendous ones, again this comes with practice and the week should iron most of that out.

If you're there as an NCO, my advice, watch for individual problems in your sections, such as
                reaction to effective enemy fire,
                fire and maneoever of assault teams,
                camo,
                how theyve packed their gear
                and what theyve brought,
                more importantly NOT brought,
                remaining in cover whilst in contact and
                using proper personal moving techniques - leopard crawl, bear crawl etc,
                their movement as a section,
                their spacing,
                your section operating in a platoon formation,
                obstacles
                radiomen,
                link men,
                gunners,
                personal admin of the 3 stars is key,
                they should know it, sadly they most certainly wont all know it and you dont want someone in your section taking a dive,

watch for those who still rock out on the ground in 24Bs or parade boots, id prefer nobody to do that, but HAIX arent issued and some people cannot afford / dont make the effort to buy tac boots. fine if thats whats got to be, ensure youve drilled into them that they look after their feet at least.

the PDF can only cover so much and its up to us (junior ncos) to detect and correct that other stuff ASAP.

with 3 stars you expect all of the above to be sorted and more but it wont be and as a result youre going to need MORE time to get the war fighting stuff done if you DONT get this shit nailed early on.

best of luck lads.
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Good advice there morph, just to add as an nco help your sgt as best you can, he/she will have enough on their plate from the officer and company hq. The sgt is the busiest person out there!

Comment

I'll be there, got a fone call the other day from the cadre asking if I COULD go, said I COULD so now apparently I'm going! but as yet have no clue what I'll be doing up there...

MOD: No Text speak.Fixed that for you.
                    Last edited by apod; 2 August 2012, 17:40.

Comment

heading along as well got a last minute phone call after our 3 star camp saying they needed extra people. so kindly accepted hope i haven't forgotten to much since October last

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                        I believe its just my own Bn thats not being assessed, were on camp that week.

I cant vouch for other elements of the east. anyway next year it'll be like the american civil war.... North vs South :D

na i think the week long idea is a good one and i really hope it works and that all units who take part take the drills back with them and it continues!!!

onwards and upwards.

last year wasnt too bad and we all made mistakes, just thankfully ours werent horrendous ones, again this comes with practice and the week should iron most of that out.

If you're there as an NCO, my advice, watch for individual problems in your sections, such as
                        reaction to effective enemy fire,
                        fire and maneoever of assault teams,
                        camo,
                        how theyve packed their gear
                        and what theyve brought,
                        more importantly NOT brought,
                        remaining in cover whilst in contact and
                        using proper personal moving techniques - leopard crawl, bear crawl etc,
                        their movement as a section,
                        their spacing,
                        your section operating in a platoon formation,
                        obstacles
                        radiomen,
                        link men,
                        gunners,
                        personal admin of the 3 stars is key,
                        they should know it, sadly they most certainly wont all know it and you dont want someone in your section taking a dive,

watch for those who still rock out on the ground in 24Bs or parade boots, id prefer nobody to do that, but HAIX arent issued and some people cannot afford / dont make the effort to buy tac boots. fine if thats whats got to be, ensure youve drilled into them that they look after their feet at least.

the PDF can only cover so much and its up to us (junior ncos) to detect and correct that other stuff ASAP.

with 3 stars you expect all of the above to be sorted and more but it wont be and as a result youre going to need MORE time to get the war fighting stuff done if you DONT get this shit nailed early on.

best of luck lads.
                        Your belief is incorrect.

Why is it the job of the PDF to correct individual's fieldcraft?

Comment

Is it the PDF or the RDF running the assessments? We encountered some power tripping clowns as "assessors" last year who did not have a clue what was going on. To any NCOs do not be afraid to make a decision in front of an asessor, equally they should not be interfering with your troops so politely tell them to go funk themselves where appropriate if they get in the way.

Listen to the debrief and report back what was said. Too often to senior types ignore advice and SOPs. If it's being addressed it should be corrected as opposed to ignored.
                          "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Hopefully the ammo fairy visits, i'll be raging running around with empty cefo when a chest rig would have done the job.
                            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

i will be there myself this year apparently the cav are needed to mind ye
                              Last edited by madmark; 2 August 2012, 19:43.
                              Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X