X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is Sri Lanka these days?

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
      Not really. The pool of people used is not that big, an attempt was made to have as many people who've done the newer courses used.
      What courses are we talking about here?

Comment

• New Sen NCO, YO, Std Officer for example. fingers crossed Sen NCO is on again next year.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Sri Lanka was fine when I was last there a few weeks ago..
          Will be back there later this year .. all positive

Comment

• Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
            So inclement weather is not an excuse its a challenge
            I totally agree. A little rain never hurt anyone.

But when the met office is forcasting force 6 to force 8 winds you have to take them seriously.

Rock climbing, wading accross fast flowing water and Bungie jumping are also challenges but we dont do them either!!!!

Comment

• Bungie jumping is daft the other two may be necessary

Comment

• I am sure there are fit soldiers probably fitter as a body than they were in the 70s . Although we were probably tougher..( Hairy long johns etc I rest my case).
                Having to put up with shite kit does not make you tougher.
                The challenge nowadays is that u take guys from a soft PC western society and attempt to turn them into soldiers that may if they face combat have to do the mOST anti PC activities and sometimes deal with militias, Armies who may be technologically inferior but are just tough fit bastards. The average Afghan, Somali, DRC third world wahtever is just physically tougher .
                Honestly i really wonder if you think before you post sometimes.The so called "Playstation generation" have been fighting and dying in some of the worlds worst shitholes for over a decade now and have not been found wanting.In fact they have proven they are every bit as tough as those who have gone before.For you to disparage their efforts by design or default is nothing short of disgraceful.
                Also our soldiers still live in the soft western society. Home on weekends , etc . Cannot be changed
                Where else would soldiers be if not on duty?Soldiers have families too you know.
                Look we have beaches being closed today in Irealnd because of a potentail E Coli infection,, do not wash yr hands after the loo and u can get E Coli infection.
                Your point?Would you like to see children getting sick??

So we must not expose soldiers to unnecessary hazards in training but we must toughen them up and test them to the absolute limit because someday they may need to draw on that experience and it will save their life or win he battle.So inclement weather is not an excuse its a challenge
                Totally agree.If it ain't raining we ain't training
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• "Having to put up with shite kit does not make you tougher" .
                  No But you do become used to discomfort. ---not that that was the reeason for hairy long johns, They were invented by the brothers I think ..

The play station generation. Yes there are members of the play station generation who have fought in some shitholes but and its a big BUTTT the logistic tail in supporting many of them is so long that it feeds the very people they are often fighting and its not all about being based in a sangar in a remote part of Afghanistan. Just compare what is happening in Somalia with the AU troops who are a lot leaner in terms of creature comforts cheaper than a similar UN or western army a much smaller Logs tail and thus less targets for the enemy. And pls do not think that I consider this adventure a success,
                  As regards living in the western world, I understand that soldiers must also have a normal western life and this is the challenge .. to switch from central heating to freezing yr rocks off and working effeciently ( in the rain if necessary)

E Coli warnings , Panic in case someone picks up a bug and sues . There is a lot of medical reserach that indicates that the increasing levels of asthma, and other allergies are connected to a lack of normal exposure of people to everyday bugs. Not suggesting that u stick your head in a sewer but one should not have to call a sanitation technician if the loo gets blocked..

Interesting that in the same or previous weekend the liffey swim took place ,now that I would not do.. So Much for E Coli . A few slow days at work ,, so read IMO

Comment

• Originally posted by bandit View Post
                    "having to put up with shite kit does not make you tougher" .
                    No but you do become used to discomfort. ---not that that was the reason for hairy long johns, they were invented by the brothers i think ....
                    lmfao... :-d
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• kmfa

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        New Sen NCO, YO, Std Officer for example. fingers crossed Sen NCO is on again next year.
                        Why is new doctrine not being passed on apart from when on career courses? TC/TI's should be sent to units because people will still keep teaching how they where taught on their course. And I wouldn't say they're wrong to do so either. One a year when you only have a platoon of your battalion and are already focused on the exercise at hand is plain silly. But if the new format allows ample opportunity to learn and implement new doctrine then thats a big improvement.

Comment

• In the main it is changes in drills/SOPs most of which change every few years and can't even be found in the manuals.

It is up to people on courses to pass on the latest info to their peers (and their affiliated units)

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            In the main it is changes in drills/SOPs most of which change every few years and can't even be found in the manuals.

It is up to people on courses to pass on the latest info to their peers (and their affiliated units)
                            I would rather it in writing because as we all know 30 people get taught one thing and something slightly different gets passed on in-unit.

Comment

• I know what you mean but if not done that way in the PDF........

Comment

• TC's/TI' ARE regularly sent out to all units in the DF via the Intranet.Now.tell me how many RDF Offrs and NCO's check the Intranet or even have access to it.?
                                Also you can read about how to do patrol contact drills(for example) all day but their is no substitute for hands on training.TTP's are constantly updating and those who go on the most recent courses pass down the knowledge and handouts/precis as required.
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X