Adequacy of Irish Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    It would be good to avoid a commercial port area. If there was no permanent obstruction, like a road bridge, then the rest could be done by building and dredging. Cargo vessels got in there up to 1969. An exclusive berthage for at least two ships with LWS 7m in channel and LWS 8m at berth. Get Irish Lights to set up channel and leading marks.
    I could not find any charts of the harbour or the channel above Curragh Point.
    But I did manage to find a photo of the quay looking south, so I do not know exactly how deep the water I would very much doubt that it is very much.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	The_Quay_Clarecastle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	698346Click image for larger version

Name:	The_Quay_Clarecastle_Closeup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	698347

I take it that this is the film which started the interest:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O2T...ature=youtu.be

Clarecastle (then just Clare) is mentioned in Commander James Wolfe’s Sailing Directions circa 1840
    Beyond this it would be impossible to proceed without a pilot. The river beyond Coney Island winds through vast banks of mud, extending from 1 to 1½ miles from the shore, decreasing gradually in width from 600 yards, and varying in depth from nine to three feet up to the town of Clare, nearly seven miles in a direct line, and nine following the channel.

At Clare the bed of the river is dry at low water, but there is a quay, alongside of which vessels load. Clare is a miserable place, though the shipping port of Ennis. It is a military station.

Comment

• Just out of interest I tried to find the two ships shown in the video of Clarecastle.

The older BW vessel is the SS Tourmaline
      https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?144068

The younger Colour vessel is the MV Quirina
      https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?216309

Comment

• Similar types of steam puffers did trojan work around the coastal ports up to the introduction of containerisation. A similar vessel lay for many years lay deteriorating north of Cliveden, a restoration project that ran out of enthusiasm and finance.
        I notice the second ship loading an old CIE truck, from back at a time when we had a state owned haulage company that linked ports not connected by rail, to the rail networks.
        Nowadays, Irish rail don't even do parcel freight. 20 years ago this was a vital hub for urgent deliveries.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• I was randomly only down at the 'port' in Clarecastle a few weeks ago. I wanted to take a look out of curiosity as I didn't know much about the place.

Not a whole lot there beyond a short quay. A few men of retirement age were having a fine BBQ though. Not a bad spot of a fine day.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
            Looking at the plan for 1910, there are a few more assets that have gone! Dock side cranes etc.
            [ATTACH]8809[/ATTACH]
            Looking at the latest Plans for Cork , we are to have a new Luas unit crossing the Lee from Kent Station to the Docklands by a permanent low level Bridge, This will eliminate accessibility to traditional visiting smaller cruise ships and warships to Cork city. In all of our seaports, plans involving docks should only emanate from Docklands management, with Dept. of marine approval, and advisory input from Naval Authorities and other Port Users.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
              Looking at the latest Plans for Cork , we are to have a new Luas unit crossing the Lee from Kent Station to the Docklands by a permanent low level Bridge, This will eliminate accessibility to traditional visiting smaller cruise ships and warships to Cork city. In all of our seaports, plans involving docks should only emanate from Docklands management, with Dept. of marine approval, and advisory input from Naval Authorities and other Port Users.
              Given that the plan was for the Port of Cork area to be converted into a high rise and commercial development, I'd assume the secure berthing area would be gone anyway by the time the Cork Luas ever sees the light of day, though the development might not happen as the Developer has been done for tax fraud in the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                Given that the plan was for the Port of Cork area to be converted into a high rise and commercial development, I'd assume the secure berthing area would be gone anyway by the time the Cork Luas ever sees the light of day, though the development might not happen as the Developer has been done for tax fraud in the US.
                While the buildings were going high rise, with a move away from cargo handling, the Quay space was to remain, to focus on the smaller expedition cruise liners that have been visiting. The ones who like to bring you into the heart of the city, and not a Commercial Quayside 40 miles away (Civitavecchia for example. Rome my arse). Port of cork have also recently built a visitor berth, which was becoming popular with yacht owners, who previously had nowhere secure to tie up in the city centre. The Bridge plan would delete the usefulness of this marina. Equally, any plan (and there have been many, all blocked by planning issues) to develop a water taxi in the harbour would be made impossible by this proposed bridge, unless the company used submarines.
                More Dept of "Transport" focusing on road and rail, and forgetting we are an island.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                  While the buildings were going high rise, with a move away from cargo handling, the Quay space was to remain, to focus on the smaller expedition cruise liners that have been visiting. The ones who like to bring you into the heart of the city, and not a Commercial Quayside 40 miles away (Civitavecchia for example. Rome my arse). Port of cork have also recently built a visitor berth, which was becoming popular with yacht owners, who previously had nowhere secure to tie up in the city centre. The Bridge plan would delete the usefulness of this marina. Equally, any plan (and there have been many, all blocked by planning issues) to develop a water taxi in the harbour would be made impossible by this proposed bridge, unless the company used submarines.
                  More Dept of "Transport" focusing on road and rail, and forgetting we are an island.
                  Ur just in luck for your submarine taxi service:
                  http://submarine4sale.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                    Ur just in luck for your submarine taxi service:
                    http://submarine4sale.com/
                    Went in one with my trusting wife in Barbados. We were visiting friends living there who bought tickets for a "submarine ride to the reefs" as a treat. The dive depth was around 25 metres and all seats were full. Two pilots with full view to the front and v.thick ports at each passenger seat position. Buoyancy was set to be slightly positive and the vessel was taken under by the external fins with electric motor propulsion. If propulsion stops or fails the sub surfaces. I always felt that an observational sub with some work capacity would be useful for the diving section but NOT this one too big.

Comment

• Rosslare is in talks for a direct continental Europe ferry service

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Rosslare is in talks for a direct continental Europe ferry service

https://twitter.com/rosslarehbr/stat...220953089?s=21
                        They all ready have 5 continental sailings a week , 2 to Spain and 3 to France and an additional France sailing next March .
                        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                          They all ready have 5 continental sailings a week , 2 to Spain and 3 to France and an additional France sailing next March .
                          Increased capacity is a good thing

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Increased capacity is a good thing
                            There's sufficient capacity at the moment and plenty of laid up tonnage to fill in when needed, what the hauliers are looking for is a service to La Havre or Calais because of the better rail and road links and being closer to Holland , Belgium and Germany .
                            Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

There's sufficient capacity at the moment and plenty of laid up tonnage to fill in when needed, what the hauliers are looking for is a service to La Havre or Calais because of the better rail and road links and being closer to Holland , Belgium and Germany .
                              The only advantage of the UK landbridge was being able to bypass the huge motorway tolls in France. Some of the East coast runs landed you right in the heart of Rotterdam.
                              Roscoff is the Clifden of France. Hours from everywhere (a days drive from the French border with everywhere else on the Continent) and Cherbourg is not on the French Autoroute network, with a long haul of poor quality dual carriageway without hard shoulder for most of the route until you manage to Negotiate the Caen ring road. Still six hours drive to the Border, if you are lucky. At that point you must park up because your tacho will be checked once you leave the french autoroute, and you have used your hours waiting to get off the ferry.

Comment

Like many states Ireland does not have an Irish Flagged fleet of critical type merchant ships. All exigencies must be covered by other carriers through negotiation and payment with certain quid pro quo's. By passing the UK land bridge is expedient but certainty could only be achieved if a national carrier could be established like the Old ICL, an off shoot of the OLD ISL . We are an Island and the need is obvious but I suppose the powers that be will assume the Industries and hauliers will fix it to survive.

Comment

Working...
                                X