Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ALWAYS take my boots of in a patrol harbour, well on exercises anyway! No matter how slow you are at lacing your boots up there will ALWAYS be some eejit whose slower who will take some heat and everyone has to wait on anyway!
    WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bulldemboots
      Regarding the pouch for GPMG Belt, TruckDriver, can you point to the page on that site where they sell them? Can't find them there
      Try these:

As I said, not all of these are done in both DPM and Olive Green.
      Might be worth enquiring if they would do them in a CE camo scheme

Hope this helps...
      Last edited by Truck Driver; 7 November 2006, 12:02.
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• The suggestion was for a pouch to mount directly onto the feed tray of the GPMG, not for a CEFO pouch for carrying ammo belts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry View Post
          The suggestion was for a pouch to mount directly onto the feed tray of the GPMG, not for a CEFO pouch for carrying ammo belts.
          You mean like this:

"Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Ive made a few minor adjustments to a pattern ammo pouch that I picked up in midleton a few years ago, to be used a pouch for carrying mag belts and it fits perfectly onto the mag and it works
            Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
            http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

• Once when on camp, our MAG gunners were issued metal containers that clipped onto the feed trap and held 50 rounds.
              It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• The "metal containers" are handy but the belt has to be rolled up with great care to avoid it getting jammed.
                Anotherhandy one is to use 58 pattern ammo pouches on your plce for the belts. There are always plenty of spare ones lying around and you can get them for free if the CQ isn't lookig.

Comment

• the "metal containers" are the correct gpmg belt boxes.

unfortunetely they are more hassle than they are worth. i used them for a bit during recruit training and after a while they were left behind when going on the ground. as piper 69 said they jam quite easily if the belt was not fed into properly. there was no easy way to carry spare boxes, the 50 round capacity was too small, some gpmg gunners couldn't get them to stay on the gun securely, etc. all in all useless! we went to carrying the spare belts in CEFO pouches and pockets fairly quickly.
                  An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Those boxes are more useful for the MAG in the SF or AA role, rather than as the infantry sections support weapon.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      Those boxes are more useful for the MAG in the SF or AA role, rather than as the infantry sections support weapon.
                      Sorry ,gotta disagree.In the sf or aa role it is common to have belts linked with sometimes up to 400 rounds,so as to provide a heavy sustained rate of fire.The metal"jungle box"for the gpmg only holds 50 rounds.So how is that usefull?
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I think you're thinking about the 250 rd box, goldie?

Comment

• Thats what I saw people carrying on the day. The one with the flaps.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• never used any type of box for the GPMG SF role. the rate of fire is too high and sustained to be changing out magazine boxes.

always link the belts together to have a few hundred rounds ready to go. anybody spare on the crew links the belts as another is being fired (or had it all done before shoots).

there used to be larger capacity boxes in the old Panhard APCs for the MAG 80s. but these sat in cradles in the turret and the belts were fed into the guns the same way as with a regular gpmg.
                            Last edited by X-RayOne; 10 November 2006, 13:54.
                            An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Originally posted by Parts View Post
                              I think you're thinking about the 250 rd box, goldie?
                              When did we get those?Are they an air defence item?Never seen one in an inf unit either here or overseas,just the 50 round waste of time
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• It's the narrow box with the hinged lid, there's millions of them lying around any ordnance store. There's a mount for the box to sit into on the side of the gun in the AA role.

Comment

Working...
                                X