No announcement yet.

Packing list Battle vest and Backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My problem with the whole thing is that there were 10s of thousands of sets of PLCE handed back supposedly to re-equip the RDF...... but getting you hands on an issue set in many units is like looking for hens teeth. There are career courses going on at the moment where people doing weapons training and trying to do Part 3 of the fitness test and they can't get PLCE.

Personally, I love PLCE. Once you get it, check it and fit it, it is a dream to work with. Yes, it doesn't work too well in vehicles and Helis (the Large Utility Pouch was designed for vehicles but who uses that?) but for Mark 1 Leg borne RDF, it is perfect. Lack of Patrol packs is a big problem and a more comfortable Bergen might be welcome but remember the '58 Ptn Backpack?

As for packing lists (Trying to keep on thread), I am very much in favour of listing what should be carried but totally against the idea of stating exactly where it should go (except for important items ie. IFAK). I mean, who really gives a damn where you keep your Camo Cream as long as you know where it is and can access it when you need it. I have seen courses where guys were chewed out over having their Camo cream in their left pocket rather than their right.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
      There was a centrespread in the Connect only last september/october from the NCOTW outlining the packing ofd the IPLCS as per their SOP for the Standard Course.
      On topic.

Yeah thats the one I am looking for. I was interested about the placement of kit / pouches. Particularly seeing as that if not positioned on the correct side properly the rifle butt would not go into the shoulder.

Originally posted by mercurydoc View Post
      And thats one of the reasons the RDF is ****ED.. all the kit in the world there but nobody willing to go get it/give it out.
      RE: IPLCS + Day bags etc.

I do not think that any RDF person would begrudge not getting the high end kit. From what I've been hearing there's barely enough available for lads that actually need it. As Apod has said theres nice to haves and must haves. I think that the RDF is getting more of the kit that we "must have" and of a better standard than ever before.

When there was 58 ptn we bought PLCE, now we have issue PLCE we are buying tac vests our own rigs. Theres nothing wrong with any of that. As that is the nature of the beast.

But now we have access to Bivvie bags, decent standard CEMO (there is some absolute tripe out there as S&S has mentioned, but this is up to NCOs to lean on CQs + cadre and get these items written off as FWT, also there are hardly any of us left now so its easy enough to cannibalize a decent set out of a few dodge ones!), driflo, wet gear, roll mats, decent sleeping bags, bungees, ponchos, mess tins water bottles and hexis!
      These IMO are Must haves that RDF require. There is very little justification for us to all be kitted out in the newest of kit when there are PDF recruit platoons that do not have enough kit.

In the last 2 years I've been on exercises where we got Entry tools, knock knocks, infantry ladders and issued chest rigs. I'd another one last weekend where we got LUCIE, Monoculars, Kites sites and marconis. If you'd of asked me 5 years ago if I thought the RDF would ever have gotten to play with any of this kit I'd of laughed.

The only issue is that whilst some of us are recieving and using this kit (there are certain RDF units in the east that seem to get everything under the sun) there are others that are not but we are all expected to be able to operate and interchange with uniformity.

The other issue is that we recieve this kit on the morning of an ex. which is thrown at us with no room for maneuver if something goes wrong or doesn't get something. For example I turned up on an ex. and there were not enough sleeping systems available. So the NCOs went without. That was a Q issue multiplied by the FCA "ah you'll be grand on the day mentality".
      "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Gentlemen for my recruit training I got issued a second hand set of PLCE. It too was missing buckles, clips and had holes in it. After a few days of being given push ups for the state of it, I did something about it. Buckles were replaced, clips repaired as best I could and holes sown up. I still got punishments every day for the state of it.

I was told that after recruit training I would be issued a new set. It wasn't til two years after I finished recruit training when I was about to depart for chad that I got the new IPLCS. I had been using my crappy second hand PLCE up until then for the ground, courses and duties.

If you have a problem with the gear or its pool issue DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Rather then vent your fury on a discussion board go to your unit cadre staff and get it sorted. If they **** you about or fob you off write a letter to the reserve section of your respective bde. Don't just write to complain about the fact, offer a solution. When they give you a bunch of shit about high turnover in the RDF and limited pools available offer a compromise. You would be surprised at how reasonable some PDF NCO's/Officers in the position to make these decisions are when given a reasonable course of actions to make.

My thinking would be along the lines of a 3* reservist with high attendance of 2 or 3 years should be issued with a complete PLCE set (CEFO/CEMO) in relatively good nick. Face facts, you'll never get a brand new set, not in this army. But at least if you were given the issue you would be able to repair it as best you could.
        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

hundreds of sets of cefo and cemo were shreaded in the curragh two months ago
          what a waste

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
            what a waste
            You could have stoked me a couple of sets
            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
            He put a bullet through his brain.
            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
              You could have stoked me a couple of sets
              i could of !!
              got myself a little something.
              they also shreaded dpm helmet covers hand cuff pouches cougar pouches ponchos and a whole lot of other stuff

Comment

what a wast
                Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

i could of !!
                  got myself a little something.
                  they also shreaded dpm helmet covers hand cuff pouches cougar pouches ponchos and a whole lot of other stuff
                  "Hey Frank do you think anyone needs this stuff?"

"Nahh"

Shred Shred Shred
                  Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
                  Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Comment

Originally posted by Cryos View Post
                    "Hey Frank do you think anyone needs this stuff?"

"Nahh"

Shred Shred Shred

who,s frank

Comment

who,s frank
                      Sgt Frank! You know, he done that thing in that place we cant mention.... Back when we lost jerry
                      Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
                      Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Comment

Man thats insane! don't ya think it cud have gone out to rdf stores or something, we only have a handful of seys on stand-by when they had loads and just shredded it all?! makes no sense!

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                          There isn't no, when it's new or Grade 1, and on personal issue so it can be fitted correctly.

But when it's given to you at the last minute from pool issue, missing clips, buckles, pouches, straps cut away and the material ripped/torn or even melted in some circumstances, it's no longer serviceable.

I don't disagree.

I fully accept that I (we) am at the bottom of the pile. I get what I want out of the RDF, so I'm happy where I am. I wouldn't want to go overseas or be called up to shovel snow, dig sandbags or stag on a gate because the pay and terms would be shit. It suits me personally that the RDF is in the position it's in because it doesn't impact on my home life unless I want it to.

That's not necessarily what I want for the RDF as a whole though. I've written all over these boards where I'd like to see the RDF heading. I know we're not ever going to be major league high speed door kickers fighting terrorism in foreign fields, nor do I expect us all to have personal issue NVGs, MOLLE PCs, and AUG A3s. But I would like it if the RDF was afforded the small amount of respect it deserves when it does achieve and/or excels the standard beset for it, and given a proper seat at the DF table when it comes to deciding all matters RDF. Not just playing dress up for the local paper on St Patrick's Day, then stripped and put back in it's box like an illegitimate ginger love child.

I buy my own Gucci gear, because the issued stuff is consistently of a poor standard (it's shite basically), couldn't give a fĂșck what people think of me for wearing it. One thing I will say though, when you see reservists go into the field, more often than not, those that settle solely for what little the DF actually issues, tend to cry off early with blisters in their 24Bs, no energy bars in their CEFO, working off a ladle full of Hotlock Stew, weren't issued a Norgie, no brew kit, no gloves.... Etc etc.
                          The lads who've taken the time/money to build their own CEFO whether Belt kits / Vests / Chest Rigs, bought their own boots, base layers, warm gear, daysacks, who won't compromise on what the DF thinks is good enough for them; they're the guys who'll still be walking tall at Endex.

I reserve my right to crib.
                          No worries mate.The problem is that's ALL you seem to be doing lately.The RDF is not the BA(of course you already knew that) it doesn't have the same resources.Nor does the PDF for that matter.It must be hard coming from an organisation that is so well equipped to one that isn't.I sympathise.Really.But Jebus Christ give the moaning a rest and suck it up soldier!

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          I agree but having said that standardising dress and equipment across the DF would bring economies of scale.
                          Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          Not really when such kit is expensive to provide. Much easier to purchase new kit for those who need it, and hand down their second hand stuff to those who need it less.
                          Both very valid points from both sides of the argument.

what a waste
                          Along with Op boots and thousands of old uniforms etc.Common denominator they were all worn out or U/S.The DF isn't in the habit of shredding serviceable kit.New(or old depending on your Logs staff) procedure in the stores is one for one issues.You want a new smock?Fine but show the Authorising officer the old one before he signs your 245B and then hand it into stores.The stores guys are getting really anal about this these days as they are being leant on by OCES.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                            No worries mate.The problem is that's ALL you seem to be doing lately.The RDF is not the BA(of course you already knew that) it doesn't have the same resources.Nor does the PDF for that matter.It must be hard coming from an organisation that is so well equipped to one that isn't.I sympathise.Really.But Jebus Christ give the moaning a rest and suck it up soldier!
                            But. But. But. If I'm not cribbing, taking the piss out of rival (ahem, lesser) Bdes, or showing off my Gucci wares, I'd have nothing to contribute to the board. :(

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                              But. But. But. If I'm not cribbing, taking the piss out of rival (ahem, lesser) Bdes, or showing off my Gucci wares, I'd have nothing to contribute to the board. :(
                              Fair point.Rock on.

PS: You do realise that in all the models being bandied about for the new Bde structure the east is no more.Right??? Har Har har
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Tezza View Post
                                Man thats insane! don't ya think it cud have gone out to rdf stores or something, we only have a handful of seys on stand-by when they had loads and just shredded it all?! makes no sense!
                                i beleave phone calls were made and email were sent but to no avail
                                if there is more to go ill post up here first maybe someone can sort something out

Comment

Working...
                                X