Queens Diamond Jubilee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queens Diamond Jubilee

Today 6 Feb 2012 marks the Queens' Diamond Jubilee - 60 years at the Throne, and to celebrate this there will be many military events during the year ahead:

Various artillery companies have been firing salutes across the UK today to mark the formal start of her Diamond Jubilee year.

Number 6 gun of the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery fires during the 41-gun Royal Salute

In London's Hyde Park, 71 horses from the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery, pulling six guns, dramatically galloped across the lawns, before getting into position to fire a 41-gun salute at noon.

The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery arrived in the park having been cheered by two-and-a-half-thousand schoolchildren in the morning as they rode through St John's Wood for the last time.

They will be arriving at their new purpose-built equestrian training facility and accommodation centre in Woolwich Garrison tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the Honourable Artillery Company (HAC), the City of London's Territorial Army Regiment, also fired a salute from Gun Wharf at the Tower of London at 1300hrs.

Whilst a Royal Salute normally comprises 21 guns, increased to 41 if fired from a Royal residence, 62 rounds are fired from the Tower on Royal anniversaries; the additional 21 guns for the Royal Salute are for the citizens of the City of London to show their loyalty to the monarch.

i'm looking forward to some of the stuff we will partaking in this year.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

I wonder, in generations of the future, will her reign be described like that of her predecessors? i.e Victorian, Edwardian, Georgian, Elizabethan, Tudor er... etc...
    Winsdorian?

Her reign has been, in later years, a bridge to the Respectable England of the past, long gone.
    Last edited by Goldie fish; 6 February 2012, 20:43.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

yeah we won't know for a long time, well - long after you and me both are gone Goldie.

i think she's done a good job.

PS - did i mention i got a medal for feck all today? lol

thanks Queenie.
      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 6 February 2012, 20:49.
      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

One prefers "ma'am" (as in ham, not farm).

All she needs do now is stick it out till sept 10 2015 and she'll get on record breakers...

Either way. we can't still call what happened in postwar britain as "modern britain".

Comment

Should this not be in foreign forces?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            Should this not be in foreign forces?
            Aren't you supposed to be a moderator?
            Last edited by Goldie fish; 7 February 2012, 14:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

Her reign has been, in later years, a bridge to the Respectable England of the past, long gone.
              Cor Blimey, Gawd Bless her !: - would that be the same "Respectable England" that Charles Dickens chronicled so well - -and whose birthday 200 years ago today is bening well remembered all over this land.

Comment

One of the things I admire about the BA is the style with which the RHA do the Salute in Hyde Park yet the most interesting aspect - The Gallop- is usually left out of most news coverage. This is so much more impressive than the static salute at the Tower or even the Irish Army Salute.

Although I was at Hyde park yesterday I did not film but this is about the best I could find from a previous salute which i hopwe might be of interest to IMO-ers who have not seen the salute.

Gun Salute to celebrate the birthday of HRH The Prince of Wales.A 41-Gun Royal Salute by the King's Troop RHA in Hyde Park at 1200 hours, 14.11.2011

Comment

I thought was the HAC that did all the ceremonial salutes nowdays?
                  'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                  'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                  Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                  He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                  http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Gunners from 105 Regiment Royal Artillery, fire a 21-Gun Royal Salute at Mills Mount Battery at Edinburgh Castle on February 6, 2012 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

good stuff
                    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

hearing protection is very limited ????

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                        hearing protection is very limited ????
                        I can see ear plugs on some of the Gunners

I can only assume (an someone more knowledgeable will confirm) that the noise level from a blank round is not as severe
                        as that from a live round ?
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

An L118 can be fired at 7 different charge settings.
                          The blank cartridge (no round) isn't as loud as a live Charge 1 but its still quite a bit louder than a rifle.
                          Joe public is allowed to stand about 20m from the 1 o'clock gun during firing at Edinburgh Castle every day.
                          Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

86 today

Happy Birthday Boss
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Happy Birthday to her.

Comment

Working...
                              X