Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So now there's brown boots for Mali, desert boots for Mali and Afghanistan and ? and black boots for every other situation, including Syria (desert) and Lebanon (not quite desert but hardly The Glen either). Meanwhile our neighbours across the wee pond are buying up Europe's supply of brown boots, meaning we could have potentially piggybacked on a deal and gotten cheaper but good quality kit? Riiiiight.
    The brown desert boots were purchased for the Mali contingent as the standard magnum version was not durable enough for the task the lads on the ground were doing.They are a test boot with a view to reintroducing a desert boot for all missions that need them.
    What's redesigned about the shirt and what's new about the wet gear?
    Haven't seen them but from those who have been up to OCES and seen the prototypes they say the shirt is going to UBAC style pockets and the waterproofs are going to be a new lightweight design with similar pockets.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by spider pig View Post
      I heard the redesigned shirt is to accommodate females breasts....this moving the breast pockets lower.
      Lower - as in - gone
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• No DRYFLO's to be issued to anyone except recruits until next March.New style t-shirt due in.Running down old stock.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
          The brown desert boots were purchased for the Mali contingent as the standard magnum version was not durable enough for the task the lads on the ground were doing.They are a test boot with a view to reintroducing a desert boot for all missions that need them...
          this may sound pretty obvious, but can i suggest that if the standard version of a boot isn't durable enough for a job like the training team in Mali, then its not going to be durable enough for pretty much anything involving people with rifles, and that you should stop using them..?

what, if curiosity is allowed to get the better of me, boots does the Irish Army does the issue for the Afghanistan and Mali jobs?

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
            this may sound pretty obvious, but can i suggest that if the standard version of a boot isn't durable enough for a job like the training team in Mali, then its not going to be durable enough for pretty much anything involving people with rifles, and that you should stop using them..?

what, if curiosity is allowed to get the better of me, boots does the Irish Army does the issue for the Afghanistan and Mali jobs?
            The magnum viper. Comy but the sole is prone to delaminating in heat and its not the most breathable for hot climates.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post

The Magnums are "Light Operational Boots" they are really only suitable for barracks wear and damage very easily in even semi robust training

Comment

• What's the new style? Similar dry flo material?
                I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                He put a bullet through his brain.
                And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                  What's the new style? Similar dry flo material?
                  Mocha in colour, apparently. FFS... 🤔🤔🤔
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• .New style t-shirt due in
                    thank heavens lets hope its not nylon again
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• In one of todays papers, One million euro contract to a Norin Iron company for SD1s anyone know if this is the new design.?

Comment

• If it's the same norn iron company who do our stuff, god help ye.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Tell me its not hunter again... please no!

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                            In one of todays papers, One million euro contract to a Norin Iron company for SD1s anyone know if this is the new design.?
                            Was wondering the same myself. I checked E-Tenders, but couldn't find a tender doc.
                            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• If it's a different supplier it'll be yet another different shade of No1s!!
                              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/north...?trk=prof-post
                                I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Working...
                                X