No announcement yet.

jadotVille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets be totally honest , the Govt, the Department and to a massive extent the General staff made a monumental double cock up . First of all they not only abandoned these Troops but also they fukced them over when they eventually got home and secondly, the mingy ceremony with the mingy certificates were probably the ultimate insult.

A lot of serving personnel and Exers have recognised this. Therefore on 22 Oct at 1400 in Collins Bk Dublin there will be a wreath laying ceremony to properly honour these men.

Full details can be found on the Facebook page of "The Jadotville Heroes" page.

If you are in the Dublin area that day- why not go along and give the most massive bula bas (at the appropriate time).

I will be there (if you think you see George Clooney its actually me).
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• I heard about those certs, no name or serial number or nothing on them. One lad asked could he get one for his buddy and he was told to photocopy his own...
      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
      He put a bullet through his brain.
      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
        Lets be totally honest , the Govt, the Department and to a massive extent the General staff made a monumental double cock up . First of all they not only abandoned these Troops but also they fukced them over when they eventually got home and secondly, the mingy ceremony with the mingy certificates were probably the ultimate insult.

A lot of serving personnel and Exers have recognised this. Therefore on 22 Oct at 1400 in Collins Bk Dublin there will be a wreath laying ceremony to properly honour these men.

Full details can be found on the Facebook page of "The Jadotville Heroes" page.

If you are in the Dublin area that day- why not go along and give the most massive bula bas (at the appropriate time).

I will be there (if you think you see George Clooney its actually me).
        I think they are hopint that this ceremony would draw a line under it, it has done the opposite. The next step is to make sure the men who were recommended for DSMs etc under the DFR get the medals they deserve, and not some makey uppy cert.
        Precedent for doing so outside the time limit was already set, with the awarding of medals to the crew of Dh248.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• I agree with you, Na G,

and if this is successful then there should be a major drive to award medals to those Naval lads who risked their lives putting out that fire.

Why does every piss ant pox of a chief get the DSM for not burning the shop down, but lads who went above and beyond the call of duty get nothing?
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Compare this to Rourke Drift. Held out for only a day, and the British establishment stated lashing out the medals (11 VCs).

as a distraction for what happened earlier in the day.

Establishment here covered up there incompetencs by not putting the truth out about the fight the MEN of A company put up.

Comment

• It didn't suit the narrative...
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                Compare this to Rourke Drift. Held out for only a day, and the British establishment stated lashing out the medals (11 VCs).

as a distraction for what happened earlier in the day.

Establishment here covered up there incompetencs by not putting the truth out about the fight the MEN of A company put up.
                It hasnt gone away when you consider what similiarly happened to the Tramore Four. After WW2 a fair few BA-RN-RAF ex POW'S were decorated for the show they kept up whilst in captivity.

Comment

• If you award medals you keep the memory alive , the medals being a constant reminder, if you dont people might forget it ever happened overtime. Especially where acts of bravery occur due to the failings of senior management. Better to forget than to accuse

Comment

• Originally posted by apc View Post
                    If you award medals you keep the memory alive , the medals being a constant reminder, if you dont people might forget it ever happened overtime. Especially where acts of bravery occur due to the failings of senior management. Better to forget than to accuse
                    British are masters at stage manageing such events, Surrenders ( A bridge to far), Defeats (Rourkes Drift), Runaways (The miracle of Dunkirk) beause someone needs to cover there arse, or army/regiment/population needs reputation/moral maintained.
                    Here the authorities (Army/ civil) due to a lack of experience of dealing with Surrenders, war, contact with the enemy, defeats etc, immediately begin to cover there own arses, nothing else mattered. By allowing this event to die away quickly, or when the accuations began they did not get involved (like putting the record straight) just in case someone turned around and asked the dreaded question, WHY and WHO put these MEN in that position and left them to fight for there lives until they had nothing left to fight with.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                      I agree with you, Na G,

and if this is successful then there should be a major drive to award medals to those Naval lads who risked their lives putting out that fire.

Why does every piss ant pox of a chief get the DSM for not burning the shop down, but lads who went above and beyond the call of duty get nothing?
                      I think the fact that Quinlan wrote recommendations (which were ignored) for the medals within the time limit might make the case for the Jadoville lads more viable.

I'm open to correction but I think that the Cliona guys weren't recommended for medals at the time and that this makes their case more difficult.

Comment

• I have watched Jadotville on Netflix over the weekend. As a war movie, yes it is good and enjoyable. As an accurate depiction of the event, it would fall under the category of "inspired by true events".

Comment

• yes, it has been Hollywooded and some of the political stuff is wide of the mark but it's pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                            yes, it has been Hollywooded and some of the political stuff is wide of the mark but it's pretty good.
                            Some of the action has been well fabricated too

Comment

• The bit where they set the mines full of shrapnel, that's Hollywood at play, right?

Also, the lads that were there seem pretty happy with it, 85% correct according to one fella on fb.
                              I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                              Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                              Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                              And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                              With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                              He put a bullet through his brain.
                              And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                              Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                              Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                              The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                                Also, the lads that were there seem pretty happy with it, 85% correct according to one fella on fb.
                                I suppose it depends on which 85% he is talking about. The interaction between Quinlan and Maj Gen McNamee (he was a Lt Col at the time, according to D Power's book) is completely fabricated, including the punch at the end (he is supposed to have gone for Comdt Kane who was in charge of the rescue task force). He would have communicated to McNamee in his role of Bn OC, but there would have been no interaction with the Cruiser. Task Force Kane was a company plus, and there were two of them. I suppose what annoyed me was that it gave the impression that A company was a much smaller force (pln + size), I know that is probably budget constraints but his officers were completely airbrushed out of the picture, some of whom did some pretty heroic deeds. It looked it was just him a CS and a Sgt in charge (there was one brief image of a Lt with the mortars and a doctor).

The problem for me is that I have read too much about this, I am sure that if I examined the other war movies I enjoy that are based on true events I would see similar discrepancies. The positive thing is, it is getting great reviews, it has shone a light on what is an excellent story of military prowess and bravery involving Irish soldiers. And I will probably watch it again.

Comment

Working...
                                X