Naval Officer Cross-training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Officer Cross-training

Does the NS allow it's officers to cross train in foreign naval colleges and do degrees abroad? For example, doing a navy EOD course in the U.S or doing a law degree in the U.K.

Before the NMCI, they used to do the RN International Sub-lieutenants course.

Not sure if the NS now run their own clearance divers course (ie EOD) courses or if they still go to the UK, but either way there are limited places.

Bear in mind the NS Basic Divers Course is one of the hardest in the DF.

Comment

But I'd say the chances of doing something like law in the UK are nil seeing that there are plenty of universities that do law here.

Comment

Foreign Naval officers frequently train with the Irish NS. There was a female officer cadet in the last class from NZ I think(she wore a Navy curl in any event, and there has been other KIWIs here in the past.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I know for a fact there are Royal Canadian Navy officers do their training on Irish navy Patrol vessels.

Comment

I know for a fact there are Royal Canadian Navy officers do their training on Irish navy Patrol vessels

Some of their training......
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Well a decent chunk of it.... their watchkeeping as far as I know? Could be wrong.
              I'd want to do a Navy EOD course or maybe a naval aviation course in the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack.s View Post
                I'd want to do a Navy EOD course or maybe a naval aviation course in the U.S.
                Then don't join the Naval Service

Comment

Well who is going to fly the Navy's new UAV's on the new patrol vessels?

Comment

Someone that has done a UAV operators course. Not someone that has done what you describe as a naval aviation course. Sounds like you plan on joining the cast of Pensacola Wings of Gold

You do realise that the NS has neither aircraft nor aircraft carriers don't you? The helipad on the stern of the Eithne does not make it an aircraft carrier.

As for the Naval EOD course, very much a cream of the crop skill set. Not something you get after a week long course

Comment

Jack.s You are either a very poor WUM, or have your head in the clouds. You are starting to sound like a very poor wum on the dreaded boards.ie.
                      You want to join the coastguard before, and after your career as a naval aviator.

Get A Grip.
                      I'm bored with you now.

Comment

Just trying to keep my options open is all, doesn't neccesarily mean I will join the coastguard. UAV operators are actually qualified pilots, and who better to train our pilots until we have the capability ourselves than some of the best pilots in the world, the U.S Navy. And I'm very much aware about the EOD course, just because it's difficult doesn't deter me from trying my best to pass it. As for "Pensacola Wings of Gold" I've never seen it.

Comment

Well I hate to burst your bubble but to become an Officer Candidate in the USN you have to be a US Citizen. You must also have a four-year BS or BA degree from an accredited university and have strong grades.
                          You are well off on the UAV operator in this states DF. They are not pilots.

Mods. Do we have to tolerate these WUMS?

Comment

Well the Artillery fly them on land.

Just trying to keep my options open is all, doesn't neccesarily mean I will join the coastguard. UAV operators are actually qualified pilots, and who better to train our pilots until we have the capability ourselves than some of the best pilots in the world, the U.S Navy. And I'm very much aware about the EOD course, just because it's difficult doesn't deter me from trying my best to pass it. As for "Pensacola Wings of Gold" I've never seen it.
                            AFAIK UAV Oprs in the DF aren't pilots.

There are some in the RN too I'm sure.

Comment

Someone is telling porky pies here I think.

See the thing is I'm also in the coastguard as a volunteer and I should have all my STCW'95 basic training done so if thats the only problem with transferring to the NSR I should be ok?

Comment

Working...
                              X