• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence Forces Review

Defence Forces Review 2017

One of the co-editors is an RDF Lt

2 contributions by RDF officers.

Comment

I was at the launch.Some really good presentations and debates on the papers .More than one RDF contributor BTW.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Defence Forces Review 2019

Comment

The research by Jonathon Carroll - “Relying on the goodwill of the individual, and luck The Problematic Nature of Utilising The Army Reserve Skills Base in The Single Force Concept" makes for very depressing reading. I would argue that the opportunity is gone and the RDF is a "dead man walking". I also doubt that the higher ups will have any interest in the research or in keeping the RDF.

Comment

Would you care about the RDF, how do you make them more appealing to the higher ups. If it helps them get promoted they will be interested. So how do you make the RDF function better as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
              Would you care about the RDF, how do you make them more appealing to the higher ups. If it helps them get promoted they will be interested. So how do you make the RDF function better as it is.
              Allow unit commander to approve up to 28 mandays

Consolidation of Cses at bde level (eg why have 3 different units running a cse for a section each, when you could have a pln on 2 cses

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                The contribution from the Naval officer about the international importance of protecting the undersea cables on the west coast was discussed in the Dail yesterday.
                The minister responded by suggesting it was the responsibility of AGS or the Dept of Communications...
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  Allow unit commander to approve up to 28 mandays

Consolidation of Cses at bde level (eg why have 3 different units running a cse for a section each, when you could have a pln on 2 cses
                  There is no real limit I have seen plenty of RDF well over 28 days, if the training programme is submitted, correct, its rarely not approved. If the units does not submit the correct documentation, unfortunately a lot is, it will be rejected.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                    The contribution from the Naval officer about the international importance of protecting the undersea cables on the west coast was discussed in the Dail yesterday.
                    The minister responded by suggesting it was the responsibility of AGS or the Dept of Communications...
                    The response is what I expected, "stick our heads in the sand and hope no one kicks us hard in the ….
                    those data links and the numerous power links will be essential for the nation going forward and the protection is the responsibility of the DF. The sooner we get a proper minister the better.

Comment

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                      The response is what I expected, "stick our heads in the sand and hope no one kicks us hard in the ….
                      those data links and the numerous power links will be essential for the nation going forward and the protection is the responsibility of the DF. The sooner we get a proper minister the better.
                      Well it's not like we have some of the world's leader's in IT based in the country.......Oh wait we do. Well it's not like any unfriendly nations or Individuals ever try and hack into these companies and try and steal their data....Oh wait They do.
                      Well at least it wont effect the electorate in Wexford, except those pesky kids, with their smart phones permanently connected to apps from said tech companies!

It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                      It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                      It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                      It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                        There is no real limit I have seen plenty of RDF well over 28 days, if the training programme is submitted, correct, its rarely not approved. If the units does not submit the correct documentation, unfortunately a lot is, it will be rejected.
                        Yes I know people who are probably approaching 100 days and I know others who get 14 and that it’s.

What I said was allow OC’s to approve up to 28 days (currently thats 7 days)... lot of places room for error when 7-28 Mandays has to go to GOC

Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                        The person writing the answer to the PQ won’t change no matter what party is in power

Comment

Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
                          The research by Jonathon Carroll - “Relying on the goodwill of the individual, and luck The Problematic Nature of Utilising The Army Reserve Skills Base in The Single Force Concept" makes for very depressing reading. I would argue that the opportunity is gone and the RDF is a "dead man walking". I also doubt that the higher ups will have any interest in the research or in keeping the RDF.
                          It is not gone. The current shortage in the PDF is forcing them to use us wherever they can and that is right in the middle of our role. If you look at the sheer procrastination in the white paper update, all of the RDF improvement projects forced into the long grass for the PDF skills gap shortage for no reason , then it is clear there is something weird going on in the DOD but we knew that.

I've never seen the RDF so busy every active barracks unit has a tasking a mile long thats mostly in PDF support and given that the pay shenanigans this year will do nothing to stop the PDF bleeding people it is likely to continue.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                            It is not gone. The current shortage in the PDF is forcing them to use us wherever they can and that is right in the middle of our role. If you look at the sheer procrastination in the white paper update, all of the RDF improvement projects forced into the long grass for the PDF skills gap shortage for no reason , then it is clear there is something weird going on in the DOD but we knew that.

I've never seen the RDF so busy every active barracks unit has a tasking a mile long thats mostly in PDF support and given that the pay shenanigans this year will do nothing to stop the PDF bleeding people it is likely to continue.
                            Seconded

And we can’t even get “OC Bde RDF” changed in R5

Comment

And we can’t even get “OC Bde RDF” changed in R5
                              The draft versions of revised R5 went to every government department for comment ffs the minister said as much in a PQ recently in a "completely missing the point"
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                              X