Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did other organisations (e.g. Civil Defence, Fire Service) have to fund their 1916 medals from their existing clothing budgets?

Comment

• Civil Defence come under DoD don't they?
      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
      He put a bullet through his brain.
      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
        Civil Defence come under DoD don't they?
        Check out the recent news over PHECC regulations and CD provided first aid cover... when it suits DoD

Comment

• Another couple of months on. has ANYBODY seen someone or been issued themselves any of the new type kit?
          A few people,and I mean a few,in my unit have the new trousers and only 2-3 people across my entire unit have the new shirt(which is gank) but I have yet to see anyone wearing the new smock or wets.

PS: Anyone been issued the new socks yet? They might cut down on people spending mad money on Bridgedales.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
            Another couple of months on. has ANYBODY seen someone or been issued themselves any of the new type kit?
            A few people,and I mean a few,in my unit have the new trousers and only 2-3 people across my entire unit have the new shirt(which is gank) but I have yet to see anyone wearing the new smock or wets.

PS: Anyone been issued the new socks yet? They might cut down on people spending mad money on Bridgedales.
            Have seen a few RDF with them... look tactical

Comment

• The new shirts look awful.

Comment

• At least if they put the same pockets on both sleeves they would be symmetrical. As it is they just look,Weird.
                Of course that's what happens when the majority panders to the minority.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• New shirts look shocking.
                  One type of trousers for all climates is ridiculous. They've three layers of material in them, far too heavy for summer trips.
                  Newest type UBACS with offset zip is another absurd idea. Grand if you are going to wear GSBA 24/7 but that doesn't happen obviously. Issued two per person now which is a minimum needed for overseas.
                  2018 t-shirts don't fit anyone.
                  Coolmax socks are ok but almost knee-high, need to be shorter like the old trekker socks.
                  The new kit bag is great.
                  Scout boots are decent, tight fit so go a size up. Would make a very good Op boot to replace the black Hiaxs for home and for winter trips overseas but they're too heavy for summer trips. Light op desert boots need to return for overseas in hot climates.

I notice the brown Hiax's didn't last too long with the French, back to wearing desert boots.

Comment

• New shirts look shocking.
                    +1.

One type of trousers for all climates is ridiculous. They've three layers of material in them, far too heavy for summer trips.
                    Yeah,but the new material is way lighter.
                    Newest type UBACS with offset zip is another absurd idea. Grand if you are going to wear GSBA 24/7 but that doesn't happen obviously. Issued two per person now which is a minimum needed for overseas.
                    Blame the Body armour board.They recommended them in their report.

2018 t-shirts don't fit anyone.
                    +1. Sizes are all off.
                    Coolmax socks are ok but almost knee-high, need to be shorter like the old trekker socks.
                    Haven't seen them yet but they were supposed to be an olive green version of the British army Hot weather sock(Which are great kit if you can get over the colour)

The new kit bag is great.
                    So I am led to believe.I bought the black,british army one for going on hols.Slightly bigger(110L as opposed to 90L) and I couldn't fault it.
                    Scout boots are decent, tight fit so go a size up. Would make a very good Op boot to replace the black Hiaxs for home and for winter trips overseas but they're too heavy for summer trips. Light op desert boots need to return for overseas in hot climates.
                    They are replacing the Black Haix. Are they still too hot even with the Extended comfort Goretex? Isn't that stuff supposed to keep your feet cool as well as dry?
                    I notice the brown Hiax's didn't last too long with the French, back to wearing desert boots.
                    They are issued both.

Comment

Yeah,but the new material is way lighter.
                      Its still three layers of material compared to one for summer trousers.

They are replacing the Black Haix. Are they still too hot even with the Extended comfort Goretex? Isn't that stuff supposed to keep your feet cool as well as dry?
                      I don't think a replacement has been selected yet but probably will be the Scout.
                      All Gore-tex types reduce ventilation. As you said, Gore-tex is designed to keep your feet dry but still breath, but in extremely hot climates where there is no water to keep out, it has the opposite effect and keeps your feet wet with sweat.

They are issued both.
                      And so should we. Most seem to be wearing (non-Gore-tex) desert Lowa's.

Comment

• Its still three layers of material compared to one for summer trousers.
                        Sorry but where are you getting three layers from? The knees and seat of the current trousers are double lined and that's it and since the second issue of the Tropical(Now summer) trousers so have they.Only the first issue had a single layer and that was nineteen years ago.
                        The latest trousers,shirt and smock are an intermediate weight fabric. Midway between the current Summer and winter weights.
                        I don't think a replacement has been selected yet but probably will be the Scout.
                        It has. 18,500 pairs of them.Tender worded to exact specs of that model.

All Gore-tex types reduce ventilation. As you said, Gore-tex is designed to keep your feet dry but still breath, but in extremely hot climates where there is no water to keep out, it has the opposite effect and keeps your feet wet with sweat.
                        Well I guess WL Gore need to fire their scientists 'cos they must be telling porky pies.

With the introduction of another batch of brown combat boots by UK MoD a degree of confusion over breathable membrane laminates has arisen.

Our GORE-TEX Product Technology is durably waterproof, windproof and breathable, to keep wearers comfortable and protected in a wide range of conditions.

And so should we. Most seem to be wearing (non-Gore-tex) desert Lowa's.
                        Yeah. In an ideal world.Not exactly comparing like with like though is it RE the Irish and French Clothing budgets.

Comment

Sorry but where are you getting three layers from? The knees and seat of the current trousers are double lined and that's it and since the second issue of the Tropical(Now summer) trousers so have they.Only the first issue had a single layer and that was nineteen years ago.
                          The latest trousers,shirt and smock are an intermediate weight fabric. Midway between the current Summer and winter weights.
                          Take a knife and cut them open.

No contract has been awarded and none will be awarded for a few months.

Well I guess WL Gore need to fire their scientists 'cos they must be telling porky pies.

With the introduction of another batch of brown combat boots by UK MoD a degree of confusion over breathable membrane laminates has arisen.

https://www.gore-workwear.co.uk/tech...mfort-footwear
                          You can believe the marketing sales talk all you want or you could maybe listen to the few hundred people who have been wearing them for months on end in the real world in extremely hot climates.

Yeah. In an ideal world.Not exactly comparing like with like though is it RE the Irish and French Clothing budgets.
                          It was done before, up until 2013. 600-700 pairs of light Op desert boots a year isn't going to break the budget considering how much is being wasted on things like naval DPM and thousands of t-shirts that will never be worn, plus thousands of perfectly serviceable pairs of black Haix's and Magnums that will have to be handed-in in exchange for a brown pair on a given date.

Comment

Our GORE-TEX Product Technology is durably waterproof, windproof and breathable, to keep wearers comfortable and protected in a wide range of conditions.

More like gores marketing department have been working overtime.

Much as gore would like to say otherwise, goretex will cause your feet to sweat in hot climates. "Highly breathable" is all relative - it might be highly breathable compared to a rival membrane, but vs something that has fabric panels that you can feel the air flow through?

In their civilian line, they've introduced a particular system called surround which involves cutting channels in the sole units to allow air to circulate under the sole of the foot and having a goretex membrane underneath to improve breathability. The jury still seems to be out on whether this offers noticeable advantages, but the fact they've gone to physical measures like this, to me indicates that the limit has been reached with the PTFE membrane itself and other ways of improving breathability are needed. I haven't seen any military boots equipped with this particular technology yet.

To be fair to WL gore, they put a lot of effort into ensuring boots licensed to use their membrane are as breathable as possible within the limits of the technology, paying particular attention to the types of glues, stitching, laces and fabrics etc but it still can't overcome the physics of a membrane that performs at its best in cold dry conditions.

My own take is that a goretex boot in 30 plus degrees where you won't generally be wading through stuff is silly - its not appropriate to the task at hand. Irish personnel in UNIFIL have been observed with their own LOWA, AKU and Salomon non membrane lined brown boots since last year.

I wear non goretex lined boots hiking in the continent during the summer as I find them more comfortable.

D-Ord has an impossible task given the current budget constraints - the Haix Scout is a compromise that is better than what we have to date, but its not the fix required.

Comment

• Are there any plans to issue RDF UBACS We wear body armour for nearly everything now. Last week was on an ex with PDF which was complete with gsba and the rdf were in shirts and armour which is very uncomfortable when it gets sweaty.
                              For these types of exercises we should have them

Comment

• UBACS are only being issued for overseas. Most people in the Army who haven't been overseas in the last few years don't have them, if they request one they get told overseas issue only. So I'd say it's very unlikely the RDF will get them.

Comment

Working...
                                X